Tuesday 11 September 2007

Back from Planning Summer School

Yep, I am back from this years RTPI Planning Summer School that was held at Swansea Univeristy, Wales. Since I was part of the international delegation (coming from Poland, Kosovo, Namibia and South Africa), we had an initial 3-day study tour. This took us to Bath, St. Davids, and Milford Haven.

The summer school consisted of lectures be keynote speakers on several planning related topics, followed by workshops. In all, there must have been around 140 planners coming from county councils, consultants etc. The first day featured an eco-day with most of the talks revolving around climate change. This was very interesting, mainly due to my deep interest in the subject. Other topics that were dealt with were the affordable housing issue and the changes to the planning system.

I had to do a 10-minute presentation which was attended by around 50 delegates. It featured some work that I was involved in. The presentation can be seen here.

This was a really great and fulling experience. It also gave me contact to several planners working in private to public posts where we often discussed issued pertaining to our countries. I also have to admit that I did a pub crawl with some guys from Swansea University up to Mumbles. We walked up, but came back with a taxi.

I am attaching a map of the University location below. The place was lovely and the weather was nice and sunny. Just perfect!

I shall be uploading some photos too.



View Larger Map

No comments: