Saturday 6 May 2006

That (in)famous monument


Let me explain first,
I am showing this image and briging up the topic because:
NO, it is not the first time I heard of it;
NO, it is not the first time I have seen it; and
NO, I do not want restart any debate.

I got tired of this. However, due my quite often passings-by, I cannot but notice the hit that this monument has made. True, it has become a MAJOR distraction for drivers approaching the roundabout, but it has also made its 'creator' quite (in)famous. Just a side note, many people were also offended when the great Michaelagelo painted naked figures in the holiest of places within the Vatican (Just a note, no artistic comparison to be made).

However, the last two days, I have noted that the phallic monument has become quite photogenic. Maybe it is pure coincidence but on both times I have driven by, I have noticed:
a) a group of 3 ladies taken pictures of themselves by the statue (it was dark and I realised what was going on through their talking.
b) a guy with an SLR digital camera crossing the road and walking away from the roundabout.

Yes my friends, this 'obsence and offensive' monument, found in 'Oh we are so holy people' Malta, has become a photographic attraction. Maybe in a few years time, MTA will start to market it as part of our cultural heritage.

No comments: