Friday 13 October 2006

Those Americans...

An interesting article appeared in the Guardian today, regarding the population milestone that America will reach in the coming days; it will reach the 300 million mark.

Apart from the interesting info, these two lines struck me:

...Americans' persistent belief that bigger equals better...

...This (America) is the ultimate disposable consumer society...

Ok, we all knew this, but have a look at this:

The result (of immigration), he argues, is more congestion, more restrictions and the decline of American individualism, freedom and space. In short, America is turning into Europe: "Most Americans think Europe is a grand place to visit, but we wouldn't want to live there," Mr Beck said. "Europeans lead such dense lives, they are so packed in and so regimented."

I will leave you to think about that.

(With all respect to the American people I know)

3 comments:

born_to_try said...

It seems as if they hate their own origin because it's a historical fact that America was first inhibited by Europeans. One must be an American to pass such a comment...buhi buhi hihi

WhiteShadow said...

I agree, although you still cannot generalise, and say all Americans, even though they make you think so.

born_to_try said...

I know they are not ALL like that...I'd better consider myself dead if it was like that. But I would say that MOST of them are. At least, most of those I've met till now!