Monday 15 October 2007

Kicking out the plastic bag

Let's face it...why do we really use it? To put stuff in from the shop, drive home, take stuff out and then? Do you throw it away? Fill it with rubbish? Or collect them?

Using plastic bags is the perfect example of modern societies' wasteful and shameless consumerist lifestyle.

What is wrong with doing without the bag? Why do people at the cash point insist of giving me a plastic bag even when I tell them: "Leave the bag"? Why do we need a plastic bag to carry a newspaper, or any other single item that can be carried easily by hand?

What I am trying to say is that even if we do not want to use the 'Xummiemu' bags or alternative bags, we can still avoid using plastic bags when purchasing a small number of items by simply saying: "No thanks, I shall carry that with my bare hands".

I fully support this initiative and I am proud to say that I am also a convert. Ban the plastic bag! And once we are at it: Ban the Bulb! That incandescent thing that is cheap, emits some light and lots of heat but is terribly wasteful, inefficient and costly over the longer term (in terms of electricity and bulb replacements).

See what the town of Modbury has done: http://www.plasticbagfree.com in becoming the first UK town to be completely bag-free.

Here are some facts collected by Reusable Bags on the impacts of plastic bags.

Wake up!




This blog post has been specifically written in order to fulfil my duties towards BlogActionDay

No comments: