Wednesday 17 October 2007

Let the War begin

I feel that sooner or later, the world will be faced with a major war. And by major I mean at a World War scale, not like the current Iraq, Afghan et al wars. The reason for this: the following article I read on The Guardian: Britain to claim more than 1m sq km of of Antarctica.

Now it is becoming evident that the major powers of this Earth are very worried indeed about the prospect of an oil-less future. And no, the worry is not because of renewables that will replace fossils. On the contrary, it is because known sources of oil are reaching their 'expiry date'. Hence, now there is a scramble for vast areas which were previously untouched and which potentially can host vast amounts of oil. I shall mention Antarctica, Greenland and a host of off-limit areas in the middle of the oceans.

In my opinion, this just shows how hypocritical we are. The same nations who claim they are the leaders in climate change policy, mitigation and adaptation are showing that all they are doing is just trying to make us feel good. What shame! On the other hand, I do not blame them. If vast amounts of oil are up for grabs, somebody is surely going to tap the resource one day or another. However, the hypocrisy of it all is too much to swallow.

And to think of it, why on earth should money be spent on renewables research when there is so much of the black stuff left. Who cares about climate change anyway?

Oh, and I had also some evil thoughts following my reading. Think of some big superpower, going to war to find weapons of mass destruction, only to find none, destroy the country but have a foothold in a oily rich country, or region. My my, I feel really sorry for all those people in Iraq who are there for a 'good cause'. No wonder they resist leaving the country.

No comments: