Tuesday 15 August 2006

France vs Malta

I was supposed to go to Rousset, France between the 27th and 2nd of September. It would have been a new experience since I was going with the football club Kirkop United with which I play. However, due to my ankle injury I decided not to make it. I am recovering but will surely not be able to play. My physio ordered me another week of exercise, but no running.

To be honest I am not too sad or worried about it. The reason is that Antonio, an Italian guy I met while in Liverpool in 2004 is coming over. We were both students at Hope University for the 2nd semester and had our rooms next to each other. We hung out together very often, initially since I was the only person around who could speak Italian; I was his translator. But then his English improved so I was asked to help only in technical situations.

I might sound crazy saying that I prefer a holiday here in Malta than one in France. Well I am, but I also need to return a favour. I stayed at Antonio's house for 10 days during Easter 2004 and he took really care of me. I also got really sick one day and his mum was kind enough to talk to the doctor and get medicine for me.

Had I not gone to France Antonio would have had to go around alone or with my dad. Well not actually alone since a friend of his from Sicily, Gianluca, is also coming over. It would have been unfair not to accompany him. My problem was taking leave off work, since two weeks would have been impossible.

Rest assured that this is an extremely rare occasion, that I am dumping a trip away from this friggin island. To my memory it is the second, but the reasons for the first were preposterous.

Antonio is arriving tomorrow at 17:00. I'll be there.

No comments: